Friday 4 November 2016

Evaluation

What have you learnt?

The main intention of horror films is to frighten the audience as it brings fiction into real life scenarios. Within Camera shots and angles certain shots and angles can build up tension and suspense. For example: A camera tilt starts from the bottom of a character and slowly goes up which builds suspense & tension as the audience expect a scare. As well as this, close ups are used to show the fear in the characters & they are often used on objects of significance 'like possessed dolls or toys'. This is done to tell the audience that the object is linked with the plot and they expect it to move or do something. I also found out that sound is very important for a horror film. However, no sound is also very effective. From my analysis of attic panic I found that no sound/limited sound can work if used properly as when a loud sound occurs the audience are more likely to be scared as they won't be expecting it as there is no non-diegetic sound build up. Screaming and childrens laughs are often used as non - diegetic sounds too. Another thing I found out is that shot reverse shots are quite effective. For example: In the conjuring the woman looks back and sees nothing but when she looks back into the mirror there is someone there. Therefore, this causes the audience to be frightened and shocked.
Furthermore, I have completed audience research which has helped me realise that the clown film would be most popular and what props and scenes to use.


How will it help you?

The information that I have learnt can now be used to produce my film. As I know most of the common features I can implement them but in my own style so, my film is still effective but different to the others. I have decided to use these ideas in my film as when the clown is first shown we will use a camera tilt to build tension. Furthermore, there will be a close up of the clowns face when he appears behind the balloon. Shot reverse shots will also be used when the girl is looking in the mirror I found that this editing technique is quite effective and successful in horror films. The audience research has helped me as I implemented the feedback given into the film which now makes it more frightening and interesting. My thinking was changed as we now have different locations to what we intended to have at without feedback. Furthermore, there was an option to do a paranormal film. However, with the feedback we decided we would produce a clown horror.

How have your learnt it?

All the information was learnt from my short horror film analysis' of different genres, the analysis of the conjuring and my research on horror conventions.

1 comment:

  1. You have considered the techniques used within different horror films, good ideas.

    However, you haven't included how you have linked these to your own film. Are there any other elements of other horror films that you have included within your own work? How have you implemented these ideas?

    Audience feedback and research is a huge part of this process as without these ideas, it is difficult to show how your target audience will be interested within the film. Think about how this has impacted upon your own thoughts and plans for the film, what did you change and why?

    ReplyDelete